Saturday, August 8, 2026

Special Effects: Breyer Fun Day Models

From 2005-2010, Breyer issued a special release Classic-scale model in conjunction with retailers hosting “Fun Day” events. Two models were released in 2007 and 2008, and one each in 2005, 2006, 2009, and 2010, for a total of eight releases. I’ve never owned an Elsinore or a Mandrake, but I have had the other six in my collection at one time or another. Only two have remained on my shelf after various efforts over the years to prune my collection down to a manageable level.
 
[It's not there yet. It will probably never be there. I can't stop buying stuff.]
 
 
I purchased #703105 Tristan from a seller on MH$P in September 2011. He’s my favorite of all the Shire A releases. He doesn’t get to show much because he really can’t compete against Traditional chonky things (or even the G1 Draft), but he has hit the table a couple times here and there when a show has a Classics-only division. His show name is Son of Meliodas.


#703107 Marigold was one of the 2007 releases on the new Morgan Mare mold, which was released that year. I got her for only $10 during room sales at BreyerFest 2013. She also doesn’t show much, for the same reasons as Tristan, but when she does, her show name is Calendula.
 
I do still have Mandrake and Elsinore on my wish list, so they might join the herd someday. I find it interesting that the two I kept and the two still on my wish list are warm-colored models, while the ones I've sold have all been black or gray. That tracks; a friend pointed out several years ago, after observing my show table, that the color distribution of my collection leans heavily toward warm-toned models.

No comments:

Post a Comment