Wednesday, August 5, 2026

On a Regular Basis: 1992 Traditional Models

As I mentioned back in my November post about my Morgans, 1992 was one of my favorite years for regular run models. I’ve talked about a few of my 1992 models already, so they’ll only get a brief mention here, but today I thought I’d cover the rest of the Traditionals, and next month I’ll do the Classics.

I wasn’t keeping detailed records of my collection back then - I didn’t even know what a spreadsheet was (gasp!) - so I don’t know the exact dates or methods by which I acquired the vast majority of these models. All but one were definitely acquired prior to September 1992, when I photographed my collection for the first time. In absence of a timeline, I’ll go in numerical order by their issue number.
 
 
This is #854 Memphis Storm, the 1992 Commemorative Edition of 7500 pieces. 

You could also call him, “Why Mel Initially Fell in Love With Shiny Things, Exhibit A.”

I have in my records that he’s #5143/7500, but I’ll be damned if I can find where that’s written on him. I thought perhaps his belly, but I can’t see it. I wonder if the ink has faded over the years?

The Midnight Sun mold has fallen out of favor over the years due to its “big lick” stance, which has historically been trained into the horses using a painful, abusive, horrible practice called soring. I won’t go into it here; it’s awful. Many collectors have gotten rid of their Midnight Sun molds for that reason. The few I have are from my childhood collection, and I can’t bring myself to part with them yet.
 
 
This is #855 Chaparral, the 1992 Limited Edition, and he has the honor of being the first Fighting Stallion in my collection. I was in love with the mold as soon as I saw #709 (the black leopard appy guy) in the 1990 catalog. Breyer produced a TON of regular run Fighting Stallions in the 90s and early 2000s (and a few Special Runs as well), so he was not by himself for long.
 
 
#858 Vermont Morgan got his turn in the spotlight in my November On a Regular Basis post, so you can go check out his deets there.
 
 
This model, #859 Family Appaloosa Stallion, was produced from 1992-1994. He initially belonged to my sister, who collected for a couple years in the early 90s. She gave me all her models when we reached adulthood, which was awesome of her.
 
 
Ever want to know if a Breyer has started to yellow? Bring it over to my house and we’ll stand it next to this gal, #860 Family Appaloosa Mare, who is so white she’s almost blue. If I’m ever questioning if something of mine is yellowed, out it comes and out she comes, and I stand them next to each other, and it’s immediately clear.

Like the stallion above, she was also produced from 1992-1994. She gets to go to all-collectibility shows when there’s a division for 90s RR models. Her show name is Proof Positive.
 
 
This model, #861 Family Appaloosa Foal, also produced from 1992-1994, is the only one for whom I know the details of his acquisition. After realizing upon my re-emergence into the hobby in 2010 that I had only 2/3 of the family, I started low-key looking for him. It didn’t take me long. A seller posted one for sale on MH$P in April 2011, and the family became complete.
 
 
Oh look, a Sham!

This is #863 Rana, who I think was supposed to be a blue taffy, maybe? That’s the only color interpretation that remotely makes sense, but even that’s a stretch. I’ve seen it called a lot of things; my official description for it is Weird. He’s still one of my faves, though, and one of my first handful of Shams. He was a regular run from 1992-1993.
 
 
I’ve always loved the cheeky little Running Foal. This is #865 Bluegrass Foal, a regular run from 1992-1994. His color was described as blue roan, and that’s mostly true, I suppose, though he’s lacking the characteristic dark head that most roans have.
 
 
#867 Tesoro got his few minutes of fame back in February’s On a Regular Basis post when I talked about my El Pastors. You can revisit his details there.
 
 
I loved this guy, #868 Highland Clydesdale, as soon as I saw his picture in the catalog. He’s still my favorite Clydesdale Stallion in my collection - yes, even above the shiny bay thing from 2002. 

I was looking him over the other day when I went to take his photo, and he could be the poster child for, “When he was NIB, the side you could see looks great, but the box side is atrocious.” He has so many boogers in his molding, it’s insane. It’s like they gobbed a bunch of plastic and hairballs on him and then painted over it all. Poor guy.

Next month I’ll go over my 1992 Classics!

No comments:

Post a Comment