Wednesday, August 12, 2026

Full Spectrum: Woodgrains

I’d like to preface this entire post by saying, unequivocally, that I have no super cool rare woodgrains in my collection, so don’t get too excited. They’re really not my thing, and the few I might be interested in are always well outside of my budget.



That being said, I was happy to find this guy on eBay in 2017. He’s #951 Commander, produced in the woodgrain colorway from 1961-1965. For being as old as he is, he’s in great shape. He has some minor edge rubs (hooves, ears) and a little bit of paint loss on his upper left neck, but he still has his tassel tip intact, which is pretty cool. His show name is Royal Oak, a reference to his woodgrain color and a street I lived on when I bought him.



I love the Quarter Horse Gelding, and when my friend Kelly W asked me in November 2023 if I wanted this poor dude on the cheap, of course I said yes. He’s #999 Two Bits, produced from 1960-1964, and he’s a bit of a disaster - both ears are chipped, he’s got bubbling in his paint which means someone carelessly washed him under running water at some point in his life, and has miscellaneous rubs. Still, he’s a neat old guy. Maybe someday I’ll cough up the dough to get him restored to his former glory.


This little M1 Stablemate (I’m assuming the “M” stands for “mini” since all M1 molds are shrunken down counterparts of their traditional-sized brethren) is from the #6051 70th Anniversary Mystery Horse Surprise series, produced in 2020 only.

Edited to add - I totally forgot to talk about how I got the little woodgrain Clyde, which is literally the entire point of this blog. 😑 I acquired him in 2020 from a friend who'd bought a bunch of the blind bags and had duplicates. He was part of my virtual BreyerFest 2020 haul.

I don’t have any woodgrains, vintage or otherwise, on my wish list at the moment, but I wouldn’t turn one of the vintage rarities down if it came to me at the right price.

1 comment:

  1. Woodgrains are slowly growing on me too, I have the trad Clyde and a Shetland pony. I have the M1 Clyde too. Love your ASB!

    ReplyDelete