Saturday, August 22, 2026

Fantastic Finds: A Good Day for Vintage Painters

Today’s models weren’t a “find” in the strictest sense - they were purchased in room sales at the CHIN during BreyerFest in 2014. They were right there on the shelf for anyone to notice. I'm putting them in the Finds series because, given that I stopped dead in the hallway once I saw these models out of the corner of my eye, I’m kinda shocked no one else picked them up sooner.

They’re #151 Bows and #141 Grazing Mare in bay. Both of those releases had extremely long runs, Bows from 1965-1981 and the Grazing Mare from 1965-1980. There are thousands and thousands and thousands of them out there. I run across them often when antiquing, especially the foal. I’ve had several of both the mare and foal in my collection over the years, but none as nice as these two.
 
 
The mare is who caused me to abruptly about-face in the hallway and go back to the room. Look at that shading! She’s even more gorgeous in person. She’s about as common as they come from a run standpoint, but sometimes painters took a little extra time with a model or just had a really good day in the booth, and she's the beneficiary of that. She is lovely.
 
 
Bows isn’t quite as outstanding a copy as her mom, but she’s still the nicest bay I’ve had in my collection to date. And you know me - I don’t separate sets. They were standing together on the shelf and I was absolutely buying the mare, so I had to buy the foal as well.

The best part? Both of them together were only $25.

No comments:

Post a Comment