Saturday, August 15, 2026

Don't Look a Gift Horse in the Mouth: Heather B Strikes Again

I feel like every post in this series has Heather B in it somewhere. Today’s is no exception.

The Breyer Classic Arabian Stallion was my first model horse love - even before Sham. I fell in love with him as soon as I saw the black one in the 1990 JCPenney Christmas Catalog. Even before I knew what a conga was, I wanted him in every color. I do have a complete conga at the moment; I’ve even got one that’s factory unpainted. (You’ll see him, my Lady Phase, my Trakehner, and my *cough cough* four naked Shams in a future post.)

At this point, I’m only after culls or variations, and I’m always on the hunt for them. Heather knows this.
 

So in October 2019, at a show we were attending together, she hands me this CAS and says, "He's a variation, so you have to have him."
 
He’s from the Sears #21058 Classic Arabian Family, produced in 1984 and 1985. Most have a star and snip, but this guy has a completely solid face. Nancy Young’s book mentioned that there seemed to be a lot of variation in this run - small vs. large stars, some with a dark nose instead of a snip, some with four stockings instead of three. She didn’t mention any with a solid face, but since his face markings seemed to vary the most, it’s not a stretch to think some might have missed their masking. This guy been on a few adventures and has some scuffs, but he’s still super cool.

Heather, being Heather, wouldn’t take payment for him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment