In my December Sentimental Journey post, I mentioned my amazement upon getting the 1990 box catalog and realizing how many models Breyer made. I didn’t know what a spreadsheet was back then, but you better believe I grabbed a notebook and started making my first ever wish list.
The horse in today’s post was at the top of the list. Yes, even above the Shams.
The horse in today’s post was at the top of the list. Yes, even above the Shams.
I fell in love with the #709 Fighting Stallion as soon as I saw him. [Catalog photo courtesy of Identify Your Breyer.] They made a model that was spicy? Hell yeah, sign me up! Unfortunately, 1990 was the last year of his production, and the internet wasn’t a thing yet, and neither my parents nor I knew where I could get one.
It would be more than 20 years before I had one on my shelves.
When I restarted collecting in 2010, I visited Model Horse Sales Pages almost every day. I’m sure there were a few #709 Fighting Stallions posted here and there, but I didn’t spring for one for awhile. The entire production run of #709 occurred during the bad plastic years, and many were severely yellowed and/or shrinking and/or oozing. I didn’t want just any #709 - I wanted a really, really nice one. I'd already waited a long time; I could wait awhile longer for the right one.
When I restarted collecting in 2010, I visited Model Horse Sales Pages almost every day. I’m sure there were a few #709 Fighting Stallions posted here and there, but I didn’t spring for one for awhile. The entire production run of #709 occurred during the bad plastic years, and many were severely yellowed and/or shrinking and/or oozing. I didn’t want just any #709 - I wanted a really, really nice one. I'd already waited a long time; I could wait awhile longer for the right one.
Then this guy was posted in February 2012 and I didn’t hesitate. He was the nicest one I'd seen since I started actively hunting for one.
I will admit, I was a little afraid to pull him down for photos a couple weekends ago. Bad plastic models are fine until one day they’re not; the Little Bits QHS and black JCP CAF that have been occupying my freezer for the past six months are evidence of that. I gave Mr. #709 a thorough once-over before bringing him downstairs for his photo shoot.
I will admit, I was a little afraid to pull him down for photos a couple weekends ago. Bad plastic models are fine until one day they’re not; the Little Bits QHS and black JCP CAF that have been occupying my freezer for the past six months are evidence of that. I gave Mr. #709 a thorough once-over before bringing him downstairs for his photo shoot.
He’s awesome. Nice and white, and he’s still just as tall as my 60s glossy gray appaloosa (who will be featured in this series next month).
Worth the wait for sure.



No comments:
Post a Comment